Chalet's story narration:
After getting out of the forest, Carto found a way to the Grassland, but the way got blocked by a river.
As Carto went around to find something to get past the river, she found a strange building. She decided to get in.
Meeting the Storytender
There was no one inside. Carto grabbed the book on the table and started reading. But the book's content was kind of questionable? When she was reading the book, the Storytender appeared.
- Carto (reading)
- After being led out of the Wildwood, the little cartographer arrived at a strange building hidden amongst the trees.
- Carto (reading)
- She followed her curiosity inside, and picked up the first book that she saw.
Just then, the Storytender entered...
- [Storytender appears.]
- Ahh, there's that darn book! I've been looking everywhere.
It's a good one, eh? I was thoroughly riveted, couldn't put it down!
And then when I did, I forgot where I put it...
Ghost lilies? Bear hugs? Farting sheep? What an adventure!
- Well clearly you have good taste. Welcome to the Story Chalet!
We're not easy to find, you must have a nose for knowledge.
I'm the Storytender, and I take care of our rather...unique library.
You'll find lots to love here, and our stories are always changing.
In fact, they've been changing rather quickly of late!
I was just in the iddle of sorting some books, but these old bones could use a break.
Let me show you how things work around here!
- [Storytender gives a tour for Carto around the Story Chalet.]
Finding hints about Granny
As Carto and the Storytender entered the Desert Wing, the Storytender talked about a book that has the story about an old lady finding her granddaughter in the desert. Maybe this is a hint to find Carto's Granny?
- ...and this is the Desert Wing of the Chalet.
Not to be confused with the Dessert Wing, which is sadly still under construction.
Like I mentioned, each wing contains stories related to a specific area of the world.
I recently started reading a good one in this very room.
It was about and old lady searching for her granddaughter in the desert...
- I know, right? What a good premise!
When I left off, the granny was getting a bit exhausted...
- I can see youre excited about learning!
Oh to be a curious, young mind again.
Well off you go then! Have at these books!
I'll be in the Writing Room. Just let me know if I can be of any assistance.
- [The Storytender gets to the Writing Room.]
The Writing Room
- Hey there!
- Welcome to the Writing Room!
This is where all of our stories are created, though I can't tell you how.
It's not a secret, I just don't know! No one does.
That thingamajig over there (the typewriter on the desk) just churns 'em out, and has been for as long as anyone can remember!
My job is to tend to the stories, and that's good enough for me.
If you'd like to know ore about the Story Chalet, this is the room for it!
I keep some of my other favorites here, too.
- When in doubt, ask a book!
Ask a book?
Followed the Storytender's advice, Carto searched through the books in the Story Chalet. She found the book about an old lady finding her granddaughter in the Desert, but it didn't tell any information about the way to the Desert.
As she continued searching, she found a book that tells the location of a pair of Magic Boots: at the Grassland Wing of the Basement floor Two. She found the Magic Boots. With them, she could cross the river and got back to Grassland. Maybe the people in Grassland know how to get to the Desert?
The Storytender spotted the new boots Carto was wearing. Dialogue:
- Nice boots! I didn't notice them when you first arrived.
They look like they can getcha wherever you need to go!
- I bet you're eager to get back outside and put those boots to use!
Carto went outside, and crossed the river to get to the Grassland...
|All Chapters||Next →|
Reuniting with Shianan
After getting out of the Desert, Carto got back to the Chalet. She met Shianan there.
- I was so worried when you didn't show up at our meeting spot, but it sounds like you've been busy!
The Storytender told me you dropped by here on your way to the desert.
Did you find any clues about your Granny there?
- *shakes her head*
- Aw, I'm sorry. I'm sure it's just a matter of time, I bet she's looking just as hard for you!
- *talks about the earthquake before*
- Ah, you felt the ground shaking too?
I thought it was just my lunch disagreeing with me, until some books fell off the shelf.
The volcano must be acting up again. The eruptions are quite a sight to behold!
The sky darkens with thick black smoke, and orange embers drift through it like snowflakes.
- Hmm, that smoke might make the sky harder for your Granny to navigate, Carto.
I wonder if you can warn her somehow. I bet it's worth a try!
- *nods nods*
- Great! I bet we can find some clues in the Volcano Wing. I'll meet you there!
- [Shianan runs inside the Story Chalet.]
- Such impatience!
I'm sad to say, the Volcano Wing has been missing for some time.
The Chalet can be a bit...unpredictable.
Sometimes the rooms are where you'd expect, and sometimes they go missing.
If only I could visit the top floor again, someday...
- Ah, please ignore me. Just the wistful yearnings of an old man.
Anyway, I can't be of much help in locating the Volcano Wing.
But I can usually find what I'm looking for if I read enough books.
No better place to start!
- Perhaps one of our books can help you locate our missing Volcano Wing.
The Volcano Wing
Carto found the Volcano Wing. When she got to it, Shianan was already there.
- I think I found something!
- I had just about given up on finding the Volcano Wing, when it appeared out of nowhere!
This is such a strange building...
Anyways, I think I found something helpful in this book, have a look...
- Shianan (reading)
- "The volcano is a popular tourist destination, due to its temperate weather and world-famous spas."
"Travelers can take the long way up, ascending its face over the course of several days..."
"...or hope to catch a ride on a friendly member of its thriving mountain goat population."
"Though the fastest, most reliable paths up the volcano lie deep within the forest, for those who can find them."
- It sounds like you can get to the volcano through the forest!
If there's a path, I know you'll find it. No one is better at finding their way through the world!
- *nods nods*
- Oh, you'd like me to go with you?
- [Shianan thinks for a few seconds.]
- Hmm. I worry that I'd just slow you down! I hate to split up again, but...
You find your way around so quickly, and time may be of the essence.
So hurry along without me, and in the meantime I'll do some research for us here!
- Good luck in the forest, I know you'll find the way through to the volcano!
Carto got out of the Story Chalet, and headed to the forest...
Chapter 5: Desert
|All Chapters||Next →|
Chapter 6-2: Forest
Rearranging the books
After getting out of the Volcano, Carto went back to the Story Chalet. She met Shianan there.
- Carto! Hi!
I'm so glad you're back. I could really use your help...
- I'm just...I'm feeling a little homesick.
I though I'd feel better if I could read about my island, maybe even find a way to sail back.
But I can't find any books about it.
The Storytender said he'd help me, but I think he forgot...
- [The Storytender appears.]
- I didn't forget, you whippersnapper!
I've just been busy cleaning up downstairs.
SOMEONE made a proper mess while rifling through our collection.
- I'm sure she didn't mean it, whomever it was!
She's was just...eager. And inconsiderate.
- Well if you girls can get things squared away downstairs, I'll have some more time to help.
I can look though our files and let you know what I find.
- Of course! We can do that!
Um, can we do that, Carto? Please?
You're so good at arranging things!
Okay, we're in. Just show us what to do!
- You know, this all sounds so similar to the book I'm reading right now.
Ah, no matter. Follow me downstairs!
- [Carto and Shianan helps the Storytender arrange the books.]
After the books had been arranged, Carto talked to the Storytender.
- Nice work!
- Things are looking tidy indeed! You girls are a godsend.
I found the sailing book your friend was looking for, it's in the Island Wing.
I think she's already there!
The Island Wing
Carto got to the Island Wing. Shianan was already there, reading.
- There's so much about the culture of my island here...
And some of our traditions happen on other islands, too!
I always thought it was just us...
- Now where can we read about sailing routes...
Carto found some clues in the book "The Dirt of Luck".
- [Carto gives the book to Shianan.]
- Look at this!
There's a way to navigate the ocean using soil from your destination...
I'm glad we grabbed some before we left!
Now we just need a worm to sniff it out, hmm...
- [Carto shows Shianan the Wriggling Worm in her pocket.]
- Wait...you had a worm on you this whole time??
Gross! But also, yay!
We have everything we need, I think it's time to sail back.
I know I'm not supposed to, but I just need to see everyone, even from afar...
- Oh I'm so sorry Carto!
I was so wrapped up in my own feelings, I didn't even ask about yours!
Did you find out anything about our Granny? How was the volcano??
- [Carto gives Shianan a letter from Granny.]
- Ohh, a letter from your Granny! May I read it?
I'm so glad she's safe!
And she wants to meet you on an iceberg...
My people have spoken of such a place, near the edge of the world.
I don't know how to get there, but perhaps they do?
- We're already headed back to the island, so we can find out more there!
You can ask around, and I"ll do some snooping...
What do you say Carto, will you come back to my island with me?
- *nods nods*
- Great! Let's get back to the boat!
I did a lot of reading while you were gone, and it was great...
...but it turns out the theater of the mind can't beat the spray of saltwater on your face.
I'm excited to get back out there!
- [Shianan runs to the boat outside.]
Carto followed Shianan. They were going to travel back to the Island...
Chapter 7: Volcano
|All Chapters||Next →|
Chapter 8-2: Island
Carto and Shianan met the Storytender to ask him about somewhere high above the clouds.
- Welcome back, girls! It's always nice to see you. How can I help?
- We need to get above the clouds since Carto's granny can't land her airship!
...whose what can't land their huh?
- Sorry, it's a long story. Maybe you'll read about it one day.
Do you know of anywhere that's tall enough that we can get above the clouds?
Actually, the top of the Story Chalet goes pretty high up!
- But it's just a small house...
- It might appear that way, but you'd be surprised.
I once found myself on the very top floor.
There were no books up there, but the view was breathtaking!
- [Carto is eager to go the the top floor.]
- Wow, okay! Can you show us how to get up there?
- I'd be happy to, young miss, but I haven't reached the top floor again since.
This can be a complicated place, I'm afraid.
Though I can show you what I know, please follow me.
The Forest Wing
The Storytender, Carto and Shianan went to the Forest Wing.
- Ah, here we are.
- This looks more like the basement then the top floor!
- Yes, yes. It's just the basement. But let me regale you a moment.
It was a normal morning, may moons ago, and I was doing my rounds of the Chalet.
Reading the new chapters, feeding the spiders, that sort of thing.
I was still half-asleep, and wandered into a door I didn't recognize.
Before I knew it, I was rocketing upward, and it spilled me out on the top floor!
- That sounds more like a dream you had...
- It's always a possibility. But I spent the entire day up there, and my sunburn was very real!
It had the most glorious views of the forest, I'd never been so high up.
I've hoped to find my way back there ever since...
With the smarts on you gals, I bet we can figure out how!
- I'm not sure that story quite adds up... but it's the only lead we have.
Let's look around and see what we can find, Carto!
Going to the top floor
Carto found the elevator to the top floor.
From the top floor, they could see the entire forest, and the Mother Tree.
- Whoa...I've never been this high up...
Is anyone else dizzy?
- My, it's just as magnificent as I remember. And wouldja get a load of that tree!
Though I'm sorry, girls, it looks like we're still below the clouds, even up here...
- [Carto is sad.]
- Don't worry Carto, we just need to get a bit higher!
How about on top of that enormous tree?
It's hard to tell, but it looks like it goes even higher up than we are now!
And maybe it's still growing?
- *nods nods*
- I'd say it's worth a try!
I'm going to stay here and enjoy the view for a bit.
Who knows when I"ll find my way up here again...
- Thanks for the help, Mr. Storytender!
C'mon Carto, let's make like a tree and...visit that tree!
Carto and Shianan left the Story Chalet and headed to the Mother Tree...
Chapter 9: Iceberg
|All Chapters||Next →|
Chapter 10-2: Forest